Sunday 18 July 2010

Cafe Culture

Found these fascinating vids today.
The first one is a potted history of the cafe culture in London from its humble beginnings in the 50's - the birth of rock 'n roll and Beatnik culture - through to the the 60's student/hippy/arts scene.

The second film, is a lament on how the smoking ban in France is affecting the traditional Parisian cafe clientele.
As I wrote in the 'Smoking for beginners' post, I am partial to a pinch of tobacco in moderation but can understand the irritation it causes to others.
I can still have a fag with my Espresso outside a Cafe Nero though...not really the same though is it really.

I like to play 'spot the cigarette' when watching old movies, documentaries and TV - so funny, Richard Burton sparking up and chaining it on 'Parkinson', as natural as breathing at one time.



1 comment:

  1. I like these videos. Especially "London cafeterias 50's-60's. It is a mystery for me how do you find interesting videos. I am still new to YouTube and my search is very limited.

    ReplyDelete