Thursday 30 December 2010

Ramblings of a backwater visionary

Among the many wonderful objects my other half got me for Christmas was a copy of Billy Childish's Paintings of a Backwater Visionary'.
I was really pleased to have gotten a 'hard copy' of Childish's paintings to add to my collection of novels and poetry by Chatham's most inspired cultural attaché, confirmed amateur and Sunday painter.
The reviews on the back cover sum up perfectly the all encompassing genius of the man:

"It is incredible to meet somebody who has such an extraordinary understanding of what they are doing...I don't think it is unreasonable to align Billy with figures like William Blake."
Mathew Higgs, Director of White Columns Gallary, NY

"Nothing more than a Bayswater road-style dauber."
Sarah Kent, Time Out

"Billy Childish has sworn allegiance to proletarian art at it's rawest."
New York Times

"Some of the worst paintings I have ever seen on public show."
The East Anglian Times





4 comments:

  1. I love billy. There was a period in which I used to go see him and thee headcoats every month. He is a collosus (spelling? - not that he'd care). Genuine 21st century renaissance man. I am way jealous of your lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Philip,
    Yeah he's a fascinating character, he makes me want to throw paint at a canvas, write a poem or a mad manifesto, start a band - a proper DIY punk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Tao of Dog, you introduced me in this post to an incredible English artist, painter, author, poet, photographer, film maker, singer and guitarist.

    I had to search on him on google before I wrote this comment. I looked also at his collection of paintings. They are great. I love the painting The Drinker, oil painting 1996. I think this is an outstanding piece of art.

    I listened to your video and i liked what he said about himself. "I am a desperate man who likes the simplicity of paintings..."

    You got a great gift for Christmas, The Tao of Dog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kaya glad you liked the post.
    He's one of my heroes and I find his stuff very inspirational.
    Yes, it was the best Christmas present I've had for ages.
    H

    ReplyDelete