Wednesday 3 February 2010

No Dad, No Protestant Work Ethic

I've noticed as I've got older, how many of my freinds and ex-girlfreinds grew up in single parent families where the father was absent, either through divorce, adoption or death. My self included.

The reason why I was initially drawn to these people was, as I see now, a particular opinion they held about the work ethic and modern industrialised society. They loathed it. I was wondering if Big Brother is just Big Daddy in another guise? I know that that is what he represents to me.

People I have known who have grown up in the traditional 'phallocentric' male dominated household are often more deeply fucked up than the offspring of 'single parent mothers', it just takes them longer to realise it, and often too late.

No dad can mean, poverty, exclusion and alienation (less so now), and it can also mean freedom to dream and question the status quo without some bitter twisted wage slave telling you to be like him and conform and consume.

I really admire people who reject their parents values who come from very authoritarian family backgrounds, i'm not idolizing SP families, I just thought it was time to stop kicking single mum's and stop selling the idea of 'family values' 'cause they ain't so clever and it don't get us out of the mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment